Time to dream bigger

So a friend says to me one day recently, “Jen, I enjoy your blog but why do you never include anything about yourself?” “I love the pics of your kids and keeping abreast of their milestones, but what about your own?” I reply, “Well, I have been blogging for just over two years now, and it was my intention to blog my experience of pregnancy and childbirth and being a mother?” He replies, “but now that the first two are done and you are living the life of mom, don’t you think you have more to say? What about YOU?” Good point! While I cannot say that I am religious about posting everyday (I am trying to be better about it this year), I guess I do have more to say from time to time. I just never felt that any rant (or rave for that matter) that I may have, belonged on a page of cute kid stuff. So herein lies the question at hand, do I start another blog or add onto my current one?
Conclusion:
Start another blog in addition to my cute kid stuff. I decided it best to separate the two; in case I unintentionally offend a reader…you can still go to my non-offensive kids’ site: www.dutchesofearls.blogspot.com
So let’s begin…

This same friend asks, “What’s up with the whole Dutches thing--and it’s spelled wrong, you know”.
Let me explain.
My married name is Earls and while it is clear to me that the old song “Duke of Earl” is not pluralized…my last name is. Hence, the Duke and Dutches of Earls came about. Yes, Duchess is spelled wrong. I know this…it is a direct reflection of my character (while at times flawed, still loveable and still very much independent…it and I stand out).
You see, it all started with the song, but quickly transformed into something more poignant among true friends and myself. While a Queen I am not by any means…I am not perfect, I do not hold any desire to be so and I do not perform in my life for others to view and/or envy. Oh brother, if someone envied my life…wow! A Princess just does not suit me either…I am a work still in the making (who isn’t) but I am very sure of my identity and really don’t question it—ever (which can sometimes get me into trouble). And all the typically girly things one might associate with a Princess…I still strive to love them…maybe someday but they just aren’t me. A Duchess; however, is something that I think I could possibly relate to in the world of royalty. Of course, Fergie comes to mind (admit it, that’s who comes to your mind as well). Let’s see, the crown must be earned-not given, you can either slide under the radar or live outrageously, or even disappear into the woodwork…it all depends on the place and moment. It’s a given that you are not perfect, it’s a given that you don’t strive to be. It just seems natural that you are natural and while a bit awkward in your skin at times, you rarely show it (or at least don’t think you do, until come to find that may be the consensus among strangers and sometimes friends…again depends on the place and moment). I love life, I live life, I don’t rule my life by the rules of others, I make mistakes, I succeed, and I fail…all the while under the spy of friends and family eyes. That’s a Dutchs. ;0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brush with a celebrity (sorta)

Is It Hot In Here?