It's a Miracle???

I'm Conflicted. Here's a story:

We visited the Hubby's uncle AGAIN yesterday afternoon (Go Beavs) and there appears to be some sort of miracle...here is a man who has pretty much been bed-ridden for the past 6 weeks due to liver failure and apparently has enough wits about him one week ago to call 911 cause he "just didn't feel good", then blacks out just as he hears the paramedic telling his partner that "this one's a goner", he's transported to the nearest hospital to deal with his condition (2 hours away), is stabilized and undergoes surgery to "see what's up", his Dr's & nurses all agree that he is a goner, inform the family and then we all wait. 1 week later, yesterday, his Dr's can't even explain it...he is better! He needs physical therapy to learn how to walk again, he weighs 100lbs, his liver is still pretty much shot but he is awake, sitting up and has his color back!

NOW...here's my confliction (and I guess why I broke down Sunday for the better part of the entire day), I miss my Dad! He died way too early for any of us. He had beaten a heart attack, bypass surgery (while out on vacation), and cancer before ultimately passing through the gates from a rare form of another type of cancer that there is no cure for. He lived a good life, had a happy wife and 22 kids (5 kids and 5 spouses and at the time 12 grandkids) he took care of himself.

I know I should be thankful for the uncle's miraculous recovery but I am conflicted...the man is an alcoholic. He has been drinking since he can even remember, since ANYONE can remember. He says to me:
"I was dead...I saw the gates, that's how close I was. Drinking a GALLON of whiskey a day was nothing...it merely gave me a buzz. I weigh 100lbs and spent everyday drunk or passed out, I haven't been able to walk for at least 6 weeks...I don't know why, but I'm here and I'm never going back THERE!"
I have been told that hitting rock bottom is most times the only way one can really get better, but this is extreme and I wonder what the purpose of it is?  I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance, everyone does I guess. I hope, no I PRAY for him to be able to make the changes necessary now because I know he's going to be on display for all of us and THAT my friends is truly going to be HIS rock bottom...talk about walking thru Hell.

Today is Tuesday and my Dad is still gone and I am conflicted. Perhaps my Dad's heart attack and first bought of cancer were his second (or some may argue even his third) chance. Did his lifestyle make him more worthy of a miracle than that of this man?  I'm definitely asking the question but I don't know the answer.

I just know that I can't judge. That task is not for me to perform. I think that would be the advice my Dad would give me.

To date, he has missed now FOUR of his grandchildren's weddings, the birth of 4 great-grandchildren, his two eldest children turning 50, the joy in his son's face as he talks about his own growing family, the beautiful transformation his third daughter has made for herself and the joyous career path of motherhood his baby girl is on..............or has he?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brush with a celebrity (sorta)

Is It Hot In Here?